The roof is a critical part of any commercial building. It protects the building from weather elements, improves energy efficiency, and ensures the safety of occupants. However, commercial roofs are prone to various problems that can lead to expensive repairs or replacements. These include:
1. Leaks – One of the most common commercial roofing problems is leaks. Leaks can occur due to various reasons, such as poor installation, aging, and damage caused by weather elements. Leaks can damage the building structure and can also result in mold growth and other health hazards.
2. Ponding Water: Ponding water refers to the accumulation of water on the roof surface. It occurs when the roof has poor drainage, or when the roof is not sloped correctly. Ponding water can lead to premature deterioration of the roof membrane, and it can also cause leaks.
3. Blow-offs: Blow-offs occur when the roofing system is not properly secured to the building. Strong winds can cause the roofing system to lift and detach from the building, resulting in significant damage. Blow-offs can be prevented by ensuring proper installation and regular maintenance.
4. Punctures: Commercial roofs are prone to punctures caused by foot traffic, falling objects, and other debris. Punctures can cause leaks and other damages to the roof. Regular inspections and maintenance can help detect and repair punctures before they become major problems.
5. Shrinkage: Roof shrinkage is a common problem with single-ply roofing systems. It occurs when the roofing membrane shrinks due to changes in temperature, resulting in wrinkles, cracks, and other damages. Roof shrinkage can be prevented by using high-quality roofing materials and proper installation techniques.
6. Blistering: Blistering is the formation of bubbles or blisters on the surface of the roofing membrane. It is caused by the accumulation of moisture or gas beneath the membrane. Blistering can weaken the roof
membrane and lead to premature failure. In conclusion, commercial roofing problems can be costly and disruptive to
business operations. Regular maintenance and inspections can help detect and prevent these problems. Cole Roofing’s Service Department routinely performs roof inspection. If you’d like us to take a look, give us a shout and we’ll quickly schedule a visit.